Books

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Taos, New Mexico. 

I have spent a great deal of time alone this summer, and here I am again, alone in a motel room, thinking. Going over my teaching plans for the week, and considering what I'll do with free time. I drove down from Albuquerque yesterday (right in time for the season premiere of Breaking Bad, my favorite TV show ever, though I find it so searing it will be years before I watch it again, unlike The Wire, which I watch frequently, especially the Hamsterdam, Marlo and Snoop eps) through desert and more desert, with views to mesas and mountains. Yet at the Tourist Center and in the motel lobby, the brochures are largely for rafting, fishing, and so on. Odd.

I used to love traveling by myself, but it feels different now. My thoughts are less focused, less geared toward photographs and journal entries. I notice the space around me more, rather than the points of interest; I wish more. 

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful - I love the idea of all those watery brochures in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in the right place - I love the space of the Taos area. The air feels lighter there.

    ReplyDelete